Some people imagine the roar of a crowd at a packed football stadium when they think of college sports, but that’s only part of the story. College sports come in a wide variety, including bowling, golf, wrestling, tennis, swimming and even Frisbee. And colleges offer the opportunity for every student to take part in sports — not just the elite student-athletes you see on TV.
Key College Sports Facts
Here are the main things you need to know about college sports:
- Through various sports associations, many colleges offer students the chance to play competitive sports at the varsity level.
- Some varsity athletes are eligible for sports scholarships through their colleges.
- Varsity athletes must meet academic requirements to win and keep sports scholarships.
- Every student has an opportunity to play sports — thanks to clubs and intramural leagues.
- All college athletes need strong time-management skills to balance classes and homework with practices and games.